Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15

Capen Town to Botswana via Maun

Up before dawn, 0500, for our pickup at 0600 for the airport. Our tour company for the complete Africa leg is "&Beyond". So far so good. Our B&B hosts had our breakfast (sandwiches) packed in little bags with our names on them.

At the airport, the porters we're too quick on the draw and had our luggage on a cart before I could say "no thanks". I should have made them remove the bags. In the South African Airlines queue, they wanted all our carry on weighed. We should have said it is not carry on and continued. Instead, 3 of 4 bags were "too heavy" for carry on. BULLSHIT, plain and simple. The luggage weighs the same whether carry on or checked. They all fit the size requirements for carry on. Give me a break. Paul and Nancy's were light enough in total to jig them and reweigh. Ours were too heavy. So we have them shrink wrapped.

Ah, the point of the weigh in, they make money on the shrink wrap. Had we carried our bags on our shoulders, each with our own, I think we would haves gotten past the 4 people it takes in the SA Airlines line to weigh luggage. Oh well, here's hoping our shrink wrapped luggage makes it to Maun and that the tight wrap doesn't break my economical replacement bag I bought in Montréal. Or that it doesn't get lost, stolen, opened, whatever. First it has to make it through Johannesburg.

Coffee and our packed lunches were our nest order of business. And inside, a surprise, juice and trail mix sans M&M's. But I know where to score those later.

On the plane, surprise, another airline that feeds you even in steerage, where we are by the way, row 30. Lisa and I chose fruit over eggs. The bozo in front of me chose to recline while eating. Friggin' penguin!

As I sit here on the plane with little to do, I will add a few more images from places past, some places that now seem ages ago...







(Street plumbing, used to distribute water. Other lines in baths were also used to distribute steam.).




(Poppy seed plants were everywhere through out Turkey.)





Images taken from other sites around Selçuk...

















The image below, now that I look at it, was most probably taken in Istanbul.




The balloons, something we will for sure do again. Oh so graceful and serene...




In the background, our small town of Uçhisar, where we stayed.








Some stuff in the Ephesus museum in Selçuk.



Loved the storks in Selçuk. I wonder if the fledgelings have flown the coop yet?




From Table Mountain in Cape Town.






Our drive around the cape...






And I think we are now starting our descent into Johannesburg, so that is it for now...









No comments:

Post a Comment